Friday, March 19, 2010

NCAA March Melodrama…

Madness, Mayhem, or Melodrama
Currently, I find myself completely consumed by brackets, baskets, and … balls? (Get your minds out of the gutter!) The NCAA championship tournament, which takes place over the period of 2-3 weeks each spring, is the Christmas morning for avid gamblers. There are only a select number of days each year which allow them to evade the ever present “addict” label. ie. The Kentucky Derby, Super Bowl, Indy 500, etc. March Madness also opens the floor to rare gamblers such as myself to place a few wagers here and there. I mean, with a friendly work pool lurking around every corner it is no wonder why this tournament brings out the Vegas in us all.

One of the biggest hazards of MM tends to be the ever likely “upset.” This is a common occurrence due to the presence of extreme pressure, basketballs fast paced nature, and the long debated, completely unperfected, ranking system. This tends to end in an underdog winning it all while running off the confidence fumes of a major upset early in the competition.

Personally I don’t take too fondly of this whole ‘lowest ranked team’ can possibly win the whole shebang. Cinderella is a “fairytale” for a reason; it’s not supposed to actually happen. However, it is relieving that since the tournament was created in 1939, no #1 ranked team has ever lost to a #16 team in opening round play. If that ever happens, I personally give anyone the permission to throw me off the Sears :cough: Willis :cough: Tower Sky Deck.

While we all wait on the edge of our seats, and in some cases fold of our wallets, for April 5th to roll around. Good luck to everyone risking a coin or two (or100K) on the coming games. Don’t worry; I’m sure you will be able to make next month’s mortgage payment with or without your NCAA winnings. And hey, if you can’t, I hear good old Uncle Sam is giving hand outs nowadays.

Note: I have Syracuse to win it all with a tie breaker of 133. Please, don’t laugh when I lose my $25 bucks. On the other hand, in the rare case that I prevail, don’t be bitter when I collect my winnings. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment