Friday, March 12, 2010

True, Kind, and/or Necessary…

Monday, while deep in office chit chat, a coworker of mine stated, “my mother used to quote MLK, ‘do not speak unless what you plan to say is true, kind, and necessary’.” Now, four days later, this statement continues to perplex me. First of all, I am pretty sure that in and of itself this statement breaks the above rules. I mean, it is debatably true, hardly necessary, and, depending on the tone, definitely not kind. Secondly, if anyone I knew, have met, or once passed on the street followed this rule, they might speak once a week, at best. (Hell, I might take some of them up on that if they cared to offer) In reality we all, myself DEFINITLY included, say things just for the heck of it sometimes. Take a group of friends on a Friday night. Should they be forced to sit in silence until one of them comes up with a true, kind, and necessary story to tell? Or do they just need to be drunk enough for no one to notice?


As much as I wish I had the power to hold back my sardine comments at times, daily banter would get rather boring if we simply stuck to this dim-witted rule.

No comments:

Post a Comment